Apple and bacon pancakes with apple syrup
4 servings, 2 pancakes & 2 tablespoons syrup each.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1/2 cup wholegrain flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 Luv’ya apple, peeled and finely diced, (about 1 cup)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- teaspoon canola oil
- Combine apple juice, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lemon juice and cornflour in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk wholemeal flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a small bowl. Whisk egg, egg white and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients, apples and bacon until just combined. (The batter will be thick.)
- Brush a large nonstick frypan with 1/2 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot. Cooking 4 at a time, use about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and gently spread it to make them about 3 inches in diameter. Cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Reheat the apple syrup, if desired, and serve with the pancakes.
Tips & notes:
Make ahead tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Step 1) for up to 1 week. Reheat on low before serving.